Pherzawl district consist of 4 (four) sub-divisions namely – Pherzawl (non-functional), Thanlon, Parbung-Tipaimukh and Vangai Range. Pherzawl village located at 195 km from Churachandpur Hq. along Tipaimukh Road (NH 150) is the District Headquarter of the district. There are total of 99(ninety nine) villages within the district. Thanlon sub-division consist of 46 villages (see Table 1), Vangai sub-division with 35 villages (see Table 2) and Parbung-Tipaimukh sub-division with 18 villages (see Table 3). The district has a total of 7181 households as per Census 2011.
Pherzawl was an administrative unit since 2006 with an Additional Deputy Commissioner at the helm until it was upgraded to a District level.
The district is now administered by a Deputy Commissioner who is the head of administration in the district. The Deputy Commissioner in the administration of the district is supported by ADC, SDC and other field staffs. The administrations of sub-divisions are manned by a Sub-Divisional Officer who is also holding the dual charge of Block Development Officer for development initiatives and schemes.
The Superintendent of Police, Pherzawl is the head of police administration in the district supported by a Sub-Divisional Police Officer, Thanlon and Officer-in-Charge of 2(two) Police Stations namely – Thanlon and Parbung Police Station. Other District Level Officers presently functioning in the District are Divisional Forest Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Zonal Education Officer, Executive Engineer (PWD & PHED) etc.
Inspite of being a new district crippled by shortages of manpower, infrastructure gaps and other administrative challenges and issues, Pherzawl as a district is steadily delivering efficient and effective public services to the public.
Pherzawl district is located on the extreme south-west of Manipur state. It is bounded by Churachandpur district in the east, Noney district n the north-east, Jiribam district in the north-west, Assam state in the north-west and Mizoram state in the south and south-west. The total area of the district is 2285 sq.km. Majority of the land areas of the district is of rugged hill terrain. Important and prominent rivers include Barak (Tuiruong), Tuipi, Tuivai, Hringtuinek(Sartuinek) etc with numerous streams and rivulets flowing across several parts of the district.
Ruonglevaisuo is the confluence of Tuivai and Barak (Tuiruong) river and is an important business hub and port for local boats transporting goods and people along the Barak river. This is the place where the controversial Tipaimukh Dam is proposed to be built over the Barak river. Tipaimukh Dam is a proposed embankment dam on the river Barak in Manipur state India, first commissioned in 1983. The purpose of the dam is flood control and hydroelectric power generation. It has been subject to repeated delays as the project developed, as there has been controversy between India and Bangladesh over water rights, in addition to questions of environmental effects of the huge project, as well as the need to relocate people to make way for a vast reservoir. In 2013, the governments of India and Bangladesh announced further delays, as the latter nation undertakes additional studies about expected effects and mitigating measures.
The district is under humid subtropical climate. The soil is moderately fertile with clay loam soil with little patches of clay and loam. The temperature ranges from a minimum of 3.4 °C (38.1 °F) to a maximum of 34.1 °C (93.4 °F). The annual rainfall ranges from 670 to 1,450 mm (26.4 to 57.1 in). The elevation of the district is 1037 meters, or 3,402 feet.
About 80% of the land area is covered by forest while the remaining 20% is utilized for cultivation. Rice, Maize and Ginger are the district’s major crops. Agriculture is the main occupation of the people.